Walking with Offa in the Shropshire Hills
The Welsh English Border- where King Offa met his match!
If you're looking for some spectacular views, glimpses of history, wildlife and archaeology and a foaming pint of ale in a cosy country pub, then these twelve waymarked pub walks and four Days Out are for you. Starting from a variety of locations in the western half of the Shropshire Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, the walks and Days Out are designed to make it easy for you to support local country pubs, cafes and shops and to enjoy the great outdoors. You can even leave your car behind as all walks and Days Out are possible to access by public transport.
Get yer boots on and enjoy some excellent food and drink!
Walking with offa is led by experienced walks leaders, who have received more training through the Walking with Offa project and will be able to share details about the heritage and countryside. Tickets can be purchased from the Shropshire Hills AONB Partnership office for just £10 (£7.50 for Friends of the Shropshire Hills AONB), which includes the walk and a delicious lunch at a local pub.
Click here to download the Walking with Offa - Guided Walks Programme (PDF).
Please call 01588 674080 to book your place.
The NEW Walking with Offa Pub Walks Booklet is now available. The booklet includes all 12 walks, each with a route map, walk instructions and local information. It is also possible to reach the start of each walk by public transport.
The Walking with Offa booklet is for sale for just £4.95. If you would like a copy, please send your name and address along with a cheque for £4.95 made payable to 'Shropshire Council' to the Shropshire Hills AONB Partnership, The Old Post Office, Shrewsbury Road, Craven Arms. SY7 9NZ.
The walks are, from north to south:
• WWO(1) - Quarries and woodland around Pontesbury- A leisurely four mile walk from The Plough in Pontesbury with some steep climbs and stiles. - download leaflet (PDF)
• WWO(2) - Dormice and archangels in Hope Valley - A relaxed four mile walk from The Stables Inn, Hopesgate. - download leaflet (PDF)
• WWO(3) - Tranquillity and tree tops at Bromlow Callow - A challenging four mile walk from The Callow Inn, Bromlow. - download leaflet (PDF)
• WWO(4) - Red kites and curlew on Prolley Moo - A relaxed four and a half mile walk from the Wentnor Stores taking in The Crown and the Inn on the Green at Wentnor - download leaflet (PDF)
• WWO(5) - Myths and mines on Stapeley Common - A relaxed four mile walk from The Miners Arms in Priest Weston. - download leaflet (PDF)
• WWO(6) - Brown hares and buzzards on Oakeley Mynd - A bracing six mile walk from Bishop’s Castle to Lydbury North, across Oakeley Mynd. - download leaflet (PDF)
• WWO(7) - Ancient hill forts and woodland of Bury Ditches - A moderate six mile walk from Clun to Bury Ditches. - download leaflet (PDF)
• WWO(8) - Border country and a taste of Offa’s Dyke - A four mile walk around the lower slopes of Graig Hill from The Crown at Newcastle on Clun. - download leaflet (PDF)
• WWO(9) - Meadows and woods to Darky Dale - A hilly five and a half mile walk through meadows and woods from The Baron at Bucknell. - download leaflet (PDF)
• WWO(10) - Ravens and skylarks around Bucknell and Stowe Hill - A relaxed, six mile walk from The Baron at Bucknell on grassland, forest tracks and minor roads. - download leaflet (PDF)
• WWO(11) - Offa’s Dyke and the top of the world to Bucknell - A hilly nine and a half mile, linear walk, along the hilltops between Knighton and Bucknell. - download leaflet (PDF)
• WWO(12) - Riverbank and otters along the Redlake and Teme - A flat, easy five mile linear walk along the rivers between Leintwardine and Bucknell. - download leaflet (PDF)
This series of Shropshire walks is being compiled into a Walking with Offa guide which can be purchased from local outlets in 2012 (price £4.95).
Click on the links below to download the related podcoast.
More Shropshire Walking related podcasts can be found here.
From Your SmartPhone
Turn your Smartphone into a complete outdoors GPS and download the walks through the Viewranger App. Go to www.viewranger.com and search for 'Walking with Offa'.
Walking with Offa in the Shropshire Hills Video
Enjoy the rich history and culture of our small market towns in the Shropshire Hills by downloading our suggested Days Out. With so much to see you’d best make a day of it!
Bishop's Castle - you’ll be charmed by this once notorious 'rotten borough'. Take in the independent shops, experience the picture postcard scenery and finish off in one (or more!) of the many excellent pubs - download leaflet (PDF).
Church Stretton - enjoy the Edwardian charm of this market town, the splendid local food and drink and the spectacular grandeur of Cardingmill Valley - download leaflet (PDF).
Craven Arms - the railway and sheep made their mark on this town. Take a leisurely stroll around the town and visit the Shropshire Hills Discovery Centre, the Land of Lost Content and Stokesay Castle along the way - download leaflet (PDF).
Ludlow - the medieval market town of Ludlow is renowned for the superb food, historic castle and majestic views. There is so much to do- you might need more than a day! - download leaflet (PDF).
All these towns can be reached by public transport- see details on the individual Days Out leaflets.
Walks leaders and guides can be hired to lead your own personal tour of the area, for you and / or your group. Click here for Shropshire walk leader's details including their specialist subjects and areas.
Walking groups can be catered for. Please contact the Shropshire Hills AONB Partnership for details on 01588 674080 or email us.
If you live locally and would like to walk regularly there are many local walking groups available. Click here to view list of local Shropshire walking groups.